Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cloth Diaper Diaries

So there are a few new things that I have adopted as a mommy for the third time. In some ways it is like having my firstborn over again because I am doing these new things. One of these new things is cloth diapers and using a sling to hold Addy.

Cloth diapers are the best option for Vanuatu. They will not only save us money here in the states and Australia but also save us the headache of shipping enough over in our container for Vanuatu and then also figuring out what the best way of disposing of them would be while we are there. SO... we have moved to cloth. The good old fashion square "pre-folds" of old with some diaper covers that have been perfected and are awesome at actually doing their job. YAY. Addy has been in cloth ever since her belly button healed (about two weeks now) and I have not had to change any blow outs yet...(can you hear all the moms cheering?)


I have also been having Addy in a sling most of the day. She LOVES to sleep in it and it has been super helpful when we are out of the house (which seems to be a lot). I was able to get some help from Amber Jones (our teammate) and also online to be able to make some of my own. These were my first sewing experience and they actually work. Oh yeah!
In Vanuatu the women are constantly carrying their babies. We realized this when we went to visit last year. It will help protect Addy from all the hundreds of diseases that are rampant and usually picked up off the ground. SO, I am excited that Addy is getting used to it (and me too for that matter) before we are over in Vanuatu and faced with OTHER lifestyle changes!


I am stuffing envelopes to send out our newsletters...all the while holding a sleeping Addy.

This is Addy at her first movie. Houghton and I's last date night in Boise. :( sad... We could actually go to a movie for $2.50!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Gretchen:
You are a SUPER MOM extrodinaire! And you look great too.

James Kenner said...

Too cute Gretch =)
We miss you guys and can't wait to meet Addy.

James Kenner said...

Okay, my comment posted and it looks funny that it says "james said..."
That was from me, Tania =)

Unknown said...

Gretch, once again you look great!! I love that you got to catch a movie and Addy could go along!!! I'm so excited for you as you try these "new" mommy ventures. You have almost inspired me to check out clothe diapers, I did consider it with Ruth!
Can't wait to see you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm from Miles City also. I have been cloth diapering and slinging my babies since my first was born 4 years ago. I make the slings that Great Grains carries. It's so nice to see another mama embrace this wonderful way to hold her baby. Best wishes to you.

Laura